Today is the 70th birthday of King of Juju Music, King Sunny Ade.
Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar and Senate President, Bukola Saraki have felicitated with veteran musician.
“From the 1960’s to date, Sunny Ade’s music will always be timeless. I wish the King many happy returns as he turns 70 today.” he wrote.
On his part, Saraki reaffirmed that Sunny Ade is the pioneer of modern world music and one of the most influential musicians of all times.
“Happy birthday to King Sunny Ade a pioneer of modern world music. Great Nigerian classed as 1 of the most influential musicians of all time,” he said.
… here’s are seven things you should know about the man, whose musical career has spanned several decades and will go on for more, if his energy level is anything to go by.
1. King Sunny Ade was hailed by American critics in 1982 as the next Bob Marley.
2. His first single, was titled “Challenge Cup,” which celebrated then local football team’s championship and it was a national hit.
3. By 1967 he had formed his own band, the Green Spots. He has changed the name of his band, several times over the years. They went by the name, African Beats and then Golden Mercury.
4. His 1998 released album Odu was nominated for the Grammys.
5. KSA is one of the first African musicians to collaborate with American acts. In 1984, he featured Stevie Wonder on his album, Aura, while he was with Island records. It was also his last album with the record label.
6. This year, the minister of enjoyment floated his own radio station, M & C Radio in his home state, Ondo state.
7. He has been classed as one of the most influential musicians of all time
You May Like: